Despite being extremely busy with work, family, and the holiday’s, I have still been going strong with my boot camp and I have been trying my best to stay on track with my healthy eating! I am sure you all have plenty of holiday parties to attend in the coming weeks, and I know as much as the next person how tough it is to stay on track! Here are a few tricks I follow to help myself not go overboard, but still enjoy in all of the festivities.
- Don’t stop your regular workouts, YES I know you are busy, so am I. If you are moving the affects of having a holiday treat or two will not be horrendous!!
- Let yourself “cheat“. Don’t go to a party and stare down the baked goods from across the room all night, HAVE ONE! If you let yourself indulge a little you won’t go overboard later. (this lesson has been learned the hard way!)
- Holiday spreads= AMAZING. People love to feed you at parties, my best advice avoid the puff pastries and heavy foods and opt for veggies, pure protein (shrimp rings are amazing, chicken, beef etc) and then to help fill you up have some cheese with a cracker or two, and skip the breads. It is easy to fill up, just fill up with the better choices that are in front of you!
- Drinking. We all love it, but it really adds up, especially in combination with lots of food. Skip the mixed drinks with pop, try something lighter (Vodka-water-lemon juice is one of my go-to drinks) OR limit in take just have one glass of wine. My general rule lately has been to avoid beer as it is often the equivalent of eating a loaf of bread! Also drink water or club soda in between drinks, this helps you slow down and it will fill you up!
- Don’t go hungry. If I am starving and see a mountain of food, you bet your tushy I am going to be all over that! So be sure to eat before you got to a party with munchies so that when you arrive you don’t feel as if you could eat an entire water buffalo!
- My final words of advice. If you know an evening of indulgence is on your agenda, eat healthy that day. Don’t have a huge breakfast and greasy lunch, follow your healthy eating plan then allow yourself a cheat dinner and get right back on track the next day!
I plan to stay on track over the holiday’s and get right back to my boot camp in early January. If you are working full-time and still have time to work out, then you can totally find the time over the holiday’s!!!!!