D and I have a big year coming up, with a wedding pending in the wings, we are attempting to cut costs where we can and go into savings mode. As a part of our deal with moving and an attempt to shave off a few expenses we got rid of our satellite TV. It seems weird to think that this is a huge decision, but I really don’t remember ever not having TV! Also D and I seem to have 50 of our favourite shows on the go all of the time, but we will make do.
So in light of going tv-less, I have decided to make time for things that really should have come before watching TV anyway!
- Music. I miss just listening to music, as a kid/teenager I would always have a playlist or cd going no matter what I was up to. TV’s steal that from you!! Plus I have a great record player that I am waiting to set up again. It is going to be a dance party up in here!
- Piano. Not everyone knows that I used to play piano as a kid and since my parents sold our family home in 2010 I have travelled from apartment to apartment with my piano. The problem is that it is a bit of a dust collector, I never take the time to sit a play. No TV means I need to entertain myself some how, right?!!
- Unpacking (for now). The nice thing about not having TV when you move…nothing is convincing you to sit on the couch and relax. There are lots of things to do around the house when I get home from work and yes I really do have time to unpack when I get home, even though I attempt to make excuses.
- Blogging. I have been so busy that I am definitely jumping on this opportunity to sit and write. I miss it. Blogging helps me reflect and really just slow down. Maybe it was my days at U of T writing multiple essays in a week, but when I am not blogging I miss it.
- Being Active. It’s summer! We all are wanting to get outside and get active. Working and being
busylazy at home can always cut into this! No TV means get off the couch!!
- Cooking. I just unpacked all of my cook books and thought… hmm I should start trying new recipes again, I have so many good ones on hand!!
- Dancing. Oh wait I always have time for that…(and by dancing I mean erratic movements in my living room, bedroom, kitchen, driveway, grocery store, you know anywhere really).
That is just a short list of what I am doing to help transition from having TV and really it is a positive change, plus who doesn’t love a few extra dollars in their pockets!!