Posted at 6:12 PM , on December 19, 2013
I am almost half way through month 4 of my new healthy routine. I have been hitting the gym and trying my best to eat well! My goal for last week was to go to the gym everyday as I got my wedding dress measurements done over the weekend. I did well and only missed Thursday night because of a work event. Not too shabby! I am starting to feel really great I have lost a few pounds and I have definitely dropped a few inches (yay!!)
Here is a quick breakdown of what I have been doing:
Workout Routine (3 day rotation)
- day 1: 10-15 minute cardio warm up, abs & legs
- day 2: 10-15 minute cardio warm up, arms & butt
- day 3: 30 minutes cardio, 15 minutes weights (combo of arms/legs/abs)
- Repeat rotation
My goal has been to go 3 times a week, however I have just stepped it up and I am aiming for 4-5 workouts. On most weeks this is doable, but it will definitely get tougher once my busy event season begins! In general I just try my best, but I am realistic that I am a busy person!
- Breakfast: Vi-Salus meal replacement mixed with unsweetened almond milk, coffee
- Snack: soy yogurt & fruit (berries or tangerines)
- Lunch: green salad, bean medley, soup (lunch is offered at my work, so I choose the various salad bar options and avoid carbs)
- Dinner: sautéed/steamed veggies, vegetarian protein
- Snack: apple sauce with a pinch of cinnamon
My breakfast & lunch stay almost always the same, dinners I like to mix up spices and veggies and of course proteins. I will have anything from tofu or veggie burgers to beans or quinoa.
So drum roll please….
I was first measured for my dress back in early October. As of Saturday I am down 4.5 inches and 7 pounds! I am so happy with my progress and it has really motivated me to stay on track! It gets tough when you step on the scale and don’t see a lot of change, but the loss of inches, especially off my hips is so encouraging!! However, Christmas is always tough to get through. But I am going to try my best to avoid the festive sweets (so far this week… that is not going well…) and I plan on doing my shakes and a modest lunch so I can enjoy dinner and drinks over the break! Tomorrow is a new day, as long as I am mostly good I will make it through the holidays!
Until next time day dreamers!
Posted at 5:54 PM , on September 10, 2013
Two weeks ago I decided it was time. I was done pretending to work out on my own. So I joined a gym, LA Fitness to be exact. I am going on week 2 (well my second full week) and so far so good. I have committed to Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at the gym and I am seriously sticking to it!
If you have followed this blog for the almost 2 years of its existence you will know I have started (and sadly stopped) many a regime. Here is how I am making this work (and hopefully for the long-term).
- I set a realistic goal. Going to the gym 3 days during the week is realistic. Saying that I will get up at 8:00 am Saturday morning to work out… is not.
- I am paying for a membership. It’s sad but true. I do not like wasting money. The more I go the less I am spending (on a per visit basis) on my gym membership. This makes me feel like I am saving and I like that!
- I am getting fit because I want to be fit. I want to look good. I want to feel good. I am not going for anyone else.
- I pack my bag before bed and bring it to work with me. I am all about convenience, I also know myself better than anyone. Going home to change is an excuse for me to go home and change into my couch potato pants.
- This gym has options. I have never been to a gym with a pool. I have not yet gone in for a dip but I am excited to try new types of workouts. Whether that is swimming laps, a new class or trying a machine that I wasn’t quite sure how to use. I have lots of options and I know I won’t get bored too easily!
- Stress relief. To keep my work stress in check I need this. So as long as I am busy at work I need to be going to the gym. I don’t think that will be an issue in the work department.
So here I go, off to the gym for another week. My long-term goals are set, however in the short-term I have one goal. It is me versus a bridesmaid dress and this is so happening! Bring it!
Until next time day dreamers!
Posted at 8:06 AM , on July 23, 2013
Good day all!
After a good year of fitness ups, the past few months fitness has been the last thing on my mind, until now. I woke up on Monday hell-bent and determined to start my new fitness and healthy eating regime. Two days later (and a pound and a half lighter) I am still going strong. My goal is to work up the courage to try on my bridesmaids dress (which I MUST fit into by October), when I bought it during a fitness kick I was about 10-12 pounds lighter…this can make a bit of a difference with how dresses fit!!
So here is my plan!
Fitness Goal: Run/walk home from work Monday to Friday. That is about 5 km per day, 25 km per week and approximately 2000 calories burnt! Sounds like a great step above couch potato to me. Once I am home I do some yoga to stretch out and I work on my abs, you always have to work on your abs!
Diet: Bye bye pasta and bread. I am attempting to go mostly carb free. Here is a sample day for me.
- Breakfast: Fruit smoothy (mixed berries, half a banana, 1 cup 1% milk, 1 Tbsp flaxseed) (depending on my mood maybe a bit of peanut butter too!)
- Lunch: 1 cup tofu with bbq sauce (or any lean protein), large salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, balsamic vinegar
- Dinner: 1/2 zucchini and 1 cup mushrooms sautéed with olive oil and spices (to taste), veggie burger (or any lean protein)
- Snack: if needed I bought crispy minis for a small snack. Also if you are ever desperate for a snack have a piece of cheese and a pickle (or anything pickled). The full fat cheese it is higher in fat, but low in carbs so it burns as energy and who doesn’t love cheese and pickles together!
- Drink: Water, tea, coffee, and at night with dinner have sparkling water for something fizzy!
Day three is coming to a close and I am feeling way better than I did last week. My energy level is up and I am feeling much less moody (yay all good things for D!). I will keep you posted as I progress in the next few weeks. In the mean time wish me luck!
Until next time day dreamers!