Posted at 10:01 PM , on September 26, 2013
I am really settling into my Monday/Wednesday/Friday routine of going to the gym. So far so good (a part from last week where I unfortunately had evening plans on both Monday and Wednesday, but it is all good I made up for it on Thursday and Friday!
When I first signed up, I thought I would be all about going to the various classes that they offer, but I have found myself not wanting to be rushed by class schedules and just heading to the gym whenever I can get off of work. Here is what my typical trip entails, and so far this has been working, 6 pounds lost (quite a few more to go…)!
- 15-20 minute warm up on elliptical or stair machine (my new fave!)
- legs, legs, legs. From using the machines to a bunch of squats and lunges
- abs. My fave machine works on your obliques (you twist side to side with the resistance of weights, love it!) Abs I do mostly on the mat (russian twists, sit ups, hip raises, leg raises)
- Buns & arms I try to pick two areas to work on every day. On alternating days I work on my bum (lots of step ups…) and arms with free weights and using some of the machines.
I try to use a new machine every time I go, but to be honest some times it takes some willpower to try for the first time. I get nervous using new machines because I don’t want to look silly (yes yes I know). So I watch other people a few times then go for it. So far so good, I have managed not to break anything!!
I will continue to update you on my fitness goals. So far so good! 3 more weeks until I have to be in that bridesmaid dress and man did I kill it today at the gym!!
Until next time day dreamers!
Posted at 5:54 PM , on September 10, 2013
Two weeks ago I decided it was time. I was done pretending to work out on my own. So I joined a gym, LA Fitness to be exact. I am going on week 2 (well my second full week) and so far so good. I have committed to Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at the gym and I am seriously sticking to it!
If you have followed this blog for the almost 2 years of its existence you will know I have started (and sadly stopped) many a regime. Here is how I am making this work (and hopefully for the long-term).
- I set a realistic goal. Going to the gym 3 days during the week is realistic. Saying that I will get up at 8:00 am Saturday morning to work out… is not.
- I am paying for a membership. It’s sad but true. I do not like wasting money. The more I go the less I am spending (on a per visit basis) on my gym membership. This makes me feel like I am saving and I like that!
- I am getting fit because I want to be fit. I want to look good. I want to feel good. I am not going for anyone else.
- I pack my bag before bed and bring it to work with me. I am all about convenience, I also know myself better than anyone. Going home to change is an excuse for me to go home and change into my couch potato pants.
- This gym has options. I have never been to a gym with a pool. I have not yet gone in for a dip but I am excited to try new types of workouts. Whether that is swimming laps, a new class or trying a machine that I wasn’t quite sure how to use. I have lots of options and I know I won’t get bored too easily!
- Stress relief. To keep my work stress in check I need this. So as long as I am busy at work I need to be going to the gym. I don’t think that will be an issue in the work department.
So here I go, off to the gym for another week. My long-term goals are set, however in the short-term I have one goal. It is me versus a bridesmaid dress and this is so happening! Bring it!
Until next time day dreamers!
Posted at 8:28 AM , on January 7, 2013
In the spirit of the new year, many folks out there have decided it was time to start moving again and to get healthy. I hear everyone on that! My fitness routine and healthy eating had been amazing starting in early October, but I must admit the holiday season really did a number on me. Truly, chocolate and wine are my downfall! I don’t think a there was a SINGLE day over the holidays….and possibly the last few weeks before the holidays where I didn’t indulge in one or both of my cravings! (So BAD!)
Oh well, it’s over now and the reality of being back at work and not having an abundance of goodies at the office has sunk in (thank goodness!) I let myself off last week by not getting straight back into my routine, however today is day 1 of me getting back to it. It really does help that I have the support of others and my girlfriend and I are going to take full advantage of my home gym until boot camp starts back up!
Tonight we are going to jump right into my Insanity DVDs, which I was avidly doing last year. I felt they would be a perfect way to get us right back into the swing of things. If you haven’t heard of Insanity of P90X look it up, they are some pretty intense home workouts. I love them because I enjoy having someone else leading my workouts and knowing that I will be with a friend twice a week, is all the motivation I need!
Here’s to a healthy 2013! Day 1 bring it on!
Until next time day dreamers!
Posted at 9:00 AM , on July 24, 2012
Well hello again daydreamers!
Last week I was on a mission, not only to get back into some writing, but also to dive back into a workout routine. With a long commute and responsibilities at home, I was finding it tough getting to the gym, especially if I had running around to do once I got home!
So here is what I came up with. Monday, Wednesday, Friday (if I can or Saturday) I have been going down to our gym doing 20 to 25 minutes of cardio, then all legs and lower back. On Tuesday and Thursday, I stay in the apartment and do abs. I really want to work on toning up and having a six pack…clearly! So this is my routine. High reps for multiple ab moves, each week I will be increasing my reps by 5.
Here’s what I do (these are the numbers I began with on day 1!):
- Basic crunch: 50
- Cross over crunch: 25 per side
- Oblique raises: 20
- Lower ab scissors: 15 each side
- Push ups: 25
- Plank: 30 seconds
The first time I went through this it took about 20 minutes to complete, I have increased the reps by five and starting today will be up 10 more. This is a great way to spend 20-30 minutes and I can definitely feel the results the following day! It is all about what works for you and your life style! I will keep you all updated on my results and will go through my lower body routine next week!
Until next time daydreamers!
Posted at 5:08 PM , on May 1, 2012
Hello day dreamers!
Sorry again for missing last weeks Fitness Tuesday’s post, but it was a crazy end of the semester and a big move to the city. This morning I finally got to try out my new FREE gym. Oh just talking about it makes me so happy! The gym is one expense that I probably couldn’t fit into my budget right now. So having it just an elevator ride away is a dream come true.
Today I did 25 minutes on the elliptical then about 15-20 minutes of floor work (arms, legs, butt and abs) nothing too strenuous! It feels good to be back. I feel as if this is day 1 (again) of a new workout routine. As you know from previous posts I was starting to feel sluggish and down. So I have moved, I’m settled and its time to amp it up again before the summer! There is sometimes no better motivation than saying today is the day that we start over, just follow through!
Day 1 down and I’m excited for day 2 tomorrow!
So don’t let this gloomy weather get you down and get out there!!
Keep up those day dreams!