Posted at 10:01 PM , on September 26, 2013
I am really settling into my Monday/Wednesday/Friday routine of going to the gym. So far so good (a part from last week where I unfortunately had evening plans on both Monday and Wednesday, but it is all good I made up for it on Thursday and Friday!
When I first signed up, I thought I would be all about going to the various classes that they offer, but I have found myself not wanting to be rushed by class schedules and just heading to the gym whenever I can get off of work. Here is what my typical trip entails, and so far this has been working, 6 pounds lost (quite a few more to go…)!
- 15-20 minute warm up on elliptical or stair machine (my new fave!)
- legs, legs, legs. From using the machines to a bunch of squats and lunges
- abs. My fave machine works on your obliques (you twist side to side with the resistance of weights, love it!) Abs I do mostly on the mat (russian twists, sit ups, hip raises, leg raises)
- Buns & arms I try to pick two areas to work on every day. On alternating days I work on my bum (lots of step ups…) and arms with free weights and using some of the machines.
I try to use a new machine every time I go, but to be honest some times it takes some willpower to try for the first time. I get nervous using new machines because I don’t want to look silly (yes yes I know). So I watch other people a few times then go for it. So far so good, I have managed not to break anything!!
I will continue to update you on my fitness goals. So far so good! 3 more weeks until I have to be in that bridesmaid dress and man did I kill it today at the gym!!
Until next time day dreamers!
Posted at 5:54 PM , on September 10, 2013
Two weeks ago I decided it was time. I was done pretending to work out on my own. So I joined a gym, LA Fitness to be exact. I am going on week 2 (well my second full week) and so far so good. I have committed to Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at the gym and I am seriously sticking to it!
If you have followed this blog for the almost 2 years of its existence you will know I have started (and sadly stopped) many a regime. Here is how I am making this work (and hopefully for the long-term).
- I set a realistic goal. Going to the gym 3 days during the week is realistic. Saying that I will get up at 8:00 am Saturday morning to work out… is not.
- I am paying for a membership. It’s sad but true. I do not like wasting money. The more I go the less I am spending (on a per visit basis) on my gym membership. This makes me feel like I am saving and I like that!
- I am getting fit because I want to be fit. I want to look good. I want to feel good. I am not going for anyone else.
- I pack my bag before bed and bring it to work with me. I am all about convenience, I also know myself better than anyone. Going home to change is an excuse for me to go home and change into my couch potato pants.
- This gym has options. I have never been to a gym with a pool. I have not yet gone in for a dip but I am excited to try new types of workouts. Whether that is swimming laps, a new class or trying a machine that I wasn’t quite sure how to use. I have lots of options and I know I won’t get bored too easily!
- Stress relief. To keep my work stress in check I need this. So as long as I am busy at work I need to be going to the gym. I don’t think that will be an issue in the work department.
So here I go, off to the gym for another week. My long-term goals are set, however in the short-term I have one goal. It is me versus a bridesmaid dress and this is so happening! Bring it!
Until next time day dreamers!
Posted at 9:00 AM , on July 24, 2012
Well hello again daydreamers!
Last week I was on a mission, not only to get back into some writing, but also to dive back into a workout routine. With a long commute and responsibilities at home, I was finding it tough getting to the gym, especially if I had running around to do once I got home!
So here is what I came up with. Monday, Wednesday, Friday (if I can or Saturday) I have been going down to our gym doing 20 to 25 minutes of cardio, then all legs and lower back. On Tuesday and Thursday, I stay in the apartment and do abs. I really want to work on toning up and having a six pack…clearly! So this is my routine. High reps for multiple ab moves, each week I will be increasing my reps by 5.
Here’s what I do (these are the numbers I began with on day 1!):
- Basic crunch: 50
- Cross over crunch: 25 per side
- Oblique raises: 20
- Lower ab scissors: 15 each side
- Push ups: 25
- Plank: 30 seconds
The first time I went through this it took about 20 minutes to complete, I have increased the reps by five and starting today will be up 10 more. This is a great way to spend 20-30 minutes and I can definitely feel the results the following day! It is all about what works for you and your life style! I will keep you all updated on my results and will go through my lower body routine next week!
Until next time daydreamers!