Posted at 12:36 PM , on September 25, 2017
Keeping a fitness routine when B was an infant was relatively easy. Sure I was exhausted, but he had two dedicated nap times when I could sneak away or I could throw him in his carrier and he would sleep through a class at the gym.
Fast forward to toddlerhood and making time for the gym has become a little bit harder. I am now faced with only 1 nap and a child who wants to touch everything and run around if he joins me at the gym.
Regardless, if you want it, you make it work. Find a routine and stick with it, the extra boost of energy I get from working out and the mental break is worth finding the time.
- Take advantage of nap time. If you have a home gym, a fitness app/video or a virtual trainer (get your trainer here!!). Get your runners on and take advantage of a two-hour nap to get a workout in.
- Work out a schedule with your spouse/caregiver. D and I have been lucky that we can trade-off on parent duties so we can both make it to the gym. We are very involved in the fitness community, so making time for BOTH of us is important. Find a schedule that works for you and your spouse.
- Join a kid friendly gym. You don’t have to go to a conventional gym to find childcare or a kid friendly space. D and I do CrossFit and we are so lucky that this community is open to kids. B can hang out when we work out or many CrossFit boxes have classes set up for mom and baby too.
- Involve your kids. Whether this means using your kid as a makeshift weight or you use them as your running cardio between sets, make it fun. Trust me you can still get a sweat on while playing around with your kids.
Bottom line, make a schedule that works for you and your family. If you have a game plan for workout times it will be easier to schedule or involve your kids and actually make it happen.
Mommy & Toddler – Yoga
Until next time day dreamers.
Posted at 11:15 AM , on July 6, 2016
On Monday my cast came off after 8 long weeks. I tried my best to keep up a workout routine while I had the cast, but I am not going to lie my workouts after the first few weeks were few and far between.
Today though I told myself that I was going to try out my new shoes and get back into a routine, so here is to day 1! It is hot hot hot out this morning, so got a great sweat on with with this 20 minute routine.
20 minute AMRAP*
- 400m run
- 20 air squats
- 10 kettle bell cleans (35lbs) (left arm only)
*as many rounds as possible
Also watch out for a few thoughts I have had over the past 8 weeks in a new Eat Clean, Train Dirty post on exercise and mental health.
Post workout selfie
Until next time day dreamers.
Posted at 10:01 PM , on September 26, 2013
I am really settling into my Monday/Wednesday/Friday routine of going to the gym. So far so good (a part from last week where I unfortunately had evening plans on both Monday and Wednesday, but it is all good I made up for it on Thursday and Friday!
When I first signed up, I thought I would be all about going to the various classes that they offer, but I have found myself not wanting to be rushed by class schedules and just heading to the gym whenever I can get off of work. Here is what my typical trip entails, and so far this has been working, 6 pounds lost (quite a few more to go…)!
- 15-20 minute warm up on elliptical or stair machine (my new fave!)
- legs, legs, legs. From using the machines to a bunch of squats and lunges
- abs. My fave machine works on your obliques (you twist side to side with the resistance of weights, love it!) Abs I do mostly on the mat (russian twists, sit ups, hip raises, leg raises)
- Buns & arms I try to pick two areas to work on every day. On alternating days I work on my bum (lots of step ups…) and arms with free weights and using some of the machines.
I try to use a new machine every time I go, but to be honest some times it takes some willpower to try for the first time. I get nervous using new machines because I don’t want to look silly (yes yes I know). So I watch other people a few times then go for it. So far so good, I have managed not to break anything!!
I will continue to update you on my fitness goals. So far so good! 3 more weeks until I have to be in that bridesmaid dress and man did I kill it today at the gym!!
Until next time day dreamers!
Posted at 8:36 AM , on July 31, 2012
Sometimes I can be the master of excuses, especially when it comes to getting out of a workout! Last night when I got home I wasn’t feeling 100% (excuse number 1), then I realized that my runners were in the car and D wasn’t home yet (excuse number 2). These two things combined meant that I was fishing for reasons to not workout. Then I remembered that I had found a few cardio routines on pinterest a few weeks ago. I put all of my excuses aside and decided I would try it out. I have a yoga mat in the apartment and lots of space so really…shoes we not needed.
Here is the workout I followed from pinterest.
Photo credit: Pinterest.
I decided I would to this three times. The first time through you are thinking, well this isn’t too bad, but by the third time you can feel the burn! I was very pleased with myself, normally when I start the excuses game they win. But not last night! I ended this off with a few more leg exercises for good measure, followed by a healthy dinner. Evening of champions!
This week I am getting serious and I am refusing to waver from my goals! I even took a before bikini shot as some extra motivation….I am going on vacation in a few weeks so it is my goal to be feeling better and beginning to look better by then!! The count down is on!
Until next time daydreamers!