Hello Day Dreamers,
I started this year off with an Eat Clean, Train Dirty post about my new years clean eating regime. I would love to tell you that I am the best pregnant person ever and have followed this to a T, but that just wouldn’t be right. To see my previous post on what D and I were going to be eating more of and eating less of click here. The concept was really to eat whole foods and avoid processed or bleached foods (aka white bread/rice).
I am proud to say that in my first trimester I was a total champ. I was lucky enough to be feeling good and I was all about green veggies, lentils and everything good. Then came the second trimester – can we say sugar?? I don’t think I have consumed so much sugar in my entire life. I was all about ice cream, candy and to top it off any white pasta/bread/carb I could get my hands on. But hey, I am pregnant. I was just giving the baby what it wanted!
I am happy to report that I have cleaned up my diet as I start my third trimester, but I will be honest, you can still find sour keys and peanut butter ice cream at my house. To make the shift back to healthier eating this is what I did:
- Breakfast: Vanilla Raw Vegan Protein mixed with 1/2 banana and unsweetened almond milk. I have been playing with a few different proteins, I started with Vega – natural flavour, which I loved until the formula was changed. Lucky for me, my crossfit coach is a health/nutrition fanatic and he started selling Sunwarrior Raw Vegan Protein at the gym and I love it!
- Morning Snack: Depending on what I have in the fridge that day: Cherries, Grapes, a peach or apple
- Lunch: Veggie or Tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread, leftover steamed veggies or a green salad with fresh-cut veggies and sunflower seeds. OR dinner leftovers.
- Afternoon Snack: Yogurt, cookies/sweet bread, or a few pieces of chocolate (I just can’t get through the day without a little something sweet!!)
- Dinner: Whole wheat pasta/rice, salmon/veggie burger/bean salad, lots of steamed or BBQ veggies
Since we are in the midst of summer fresh fruit and veggies are amazing and I have been working them into all of my meals. I would say overall I am eating pretty clean, so I don’t feel too bad about having something sweet in the afternoon/evening. Also as you may have noticed, both fish and dairy are back in my diet for now. I was having some pretty intense fish and cheese cravings so I let it happen, post-natal I will work towards being vegan again. You just have to do what the baby wants right now.
What are you doing to eat clean this summer?
This is Sunwarrior Protein I love.
Until next time day dreamers.